Surrey Teacher-Librarians recognize that young adults flourish in an environment in which they can exchange ideas related to their reading and life experiences. The Surrey Teens Read program offers Surrey secondary students exposure to a suite of ten to fifteen exceptional contemporary titles, selected by secondary educators. Every reasonable effort is made to select titles which appeal to a wide range of readers; which explore ethnic, cultural and other perspectives respectfully and inclusively; and which provide thoughtful and engaging content, reflecting young adult interests.
The content of some of the shortlisted titles may be more mature than younger students may have previously encountered. Surrey Teens Read is a voluntary young readers’ choice award program and not all selections will be appropriate for all readers.
Books considered for the Surrey Teens Read shortlist –
1. Must have been published within two years of selection.
2. Must have been reviewed favorably by at least two professional review journals.
3. May be written by authors of any nationality, but must be available in English.
4. Represent a variety of genres, format, maturity, and reading levels.
5. Shortlisted titles are intended to engage both female and male readers.
A selection committee of Surrey educators, including Teacher-Librarians, will read and review books, and by Early Spring of the program year, select shortlist of 8-10 books.
Books and promotional posters will be available in school libraries in September of the following school year. Teacher-Librarians are encouraged to promote the program as widely as appropriate. To be eligible to vote online [in late Spring], students will be asked to read a minimum of three titles from the shortlist.
2023-2024 Selection Committee